Approximately 300 million adults and children, according to the World Health Organization, suffer from depression. Do you have a pal who battles depression? Have you ever been in a situation where a friend who was depressed opened up to you and you had no idea what to say or how to respond? You're not alone. It may be difficult for friends to witness their friend in such suffering. You're already a terrific friend if you want to support someone who is struggling with depression or anxiety.
According to WHO (World Health Organization ), depression is distinguished by continuous unhappiness and a loss of interest or pleasure in formerly rewarding or pleasurable activities. It can also interfere with sleep and appetite. Tiredness and lack of attention are common symptoms. Depression is a primary cause of disability worldwide, contributing significantly to the global illness burden. Depression's consequences can be long-lasting or recurring, and they can have a significant impact on a person's capacity to function and live a fulfilling life.
When someone you care about is depressed, you may offer advise or wisdom with the best of intentions. However, the words you use may not convey the intended message, especially if you are unfamiliar with the nature of depression and mental illness. When communicating your own emotions, the sentences you use may appear straightforward and to the point from your perspective, but the person experiencing depression on the receiving end may feel insulted, misunderstood, or terribly hurt. So, what can we do to help someone with depression?
1.Let them know you care and remind them that they matter.
Reaching out to a friend who is struggling is an essential first step because research has shown that persons with depression have a tendency to withdraw and one common sensation among those who are depressed is that their lives don't matter and no one would even care if they passed away.
"I care" is two really simple words, yet it may mean so lot to someone who feels like everyone is against them. Even a hug or a light hand contact can convey this idea. Reaching out and letting the person know they matter to you is crucial.
2.Remind them that it is okay to feel the way they do.
Do not invalidate their feelings and allow them to embrace it. if they wanna cry, offer your shoulder, hugged them with open arms and tell them that you are there for him/her. Inform them that you are sorry for their distress and that you accept that this is how their depression is impacting them. If your buddy has only recently begun taking drugs or attending counseling, it may take some time for them to feel better.
3.Ask How You Can Help
Depression frequently causes weariness, difficulty sleeping, and a lack of ambition. Getting out of bed might be difficult at times. Asking what you can do for them will truly help them get through the day. Perhaps they aren't eating well, and you can bring them dinner. Perhaps they require a morning call or text to ensure they arrive at work on time. Offering to do so is a means of letting them know it's okay to seek assistance.
4.Listen actively
Ensure that you pay attention without interjecting. We all want to make things better for the people we care about, and we frequently suggest quick fixes as a way to deal with our own helplessness. When someone is depressed, they may simply need to communicate without having well-intentioned counsel interjected.
5.Encouragement to Consult a Professional
Treatments for depression are a crucial component of recovering from depression, but many people struggle with shame over their illness or doubt the efficacy of therapy. Encourage your buddy to seek medical attention if they have not already done so and reassure them that it is okay to ask for help. Depression is a genuine condition that can be treated.
• "You're not by yourself in this. I may not understand how you feel, but I care about you and want to assist you."
• "I'm concerned about you, and I see that you're having a lot of difficulties. Would you be willing to discuss your situation with a doctor or therapist? ”
• "I'm here to help you. I'll listen whenever you want to talk, and I'm only a phone call or text away."
• "What can I do to help you?"
• " Do you wish to discuss it? When you're ready, I'll be here.
• "You're not alone, even though I may not completely comprehend how you feel.
• "I'm very sorry you have to go through this, and I'm available to you if you need anything.
• “Just think happy thoughts. I don’t understand what you have to be so sad about.”
•“You just need to snap out of this.”
•“So many people out there are worse off than you.”
•"It's all in your head."
•"I completely understand how you feel" Why? Because no one knows how anyone else is feeling. when someone's despair has become overwhelming, this is not a useful technique to make them feel understood.
•"Hang in there it will pass" They've probably been feeling this way for a while, and it hasn't gotten any better - which is why they're seeking help.
THE BOTTOMLINE
Since depression is a mental ailment, and like other illness, there is no defined time frame or magic formula to cure the patient. When someone you care about is struggling with depression you want to help. But you might not know what to say or do. Supporting them and connecting them with the care can make a difference. Keep in mind that your friend may want to talk about what they feel, but they might not want advice.
REFERENCES:
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.who.int%2Fhealth-topics%2Fdepression%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0TBEJZeQIHixFqjpozSCZLMvU41VCl3m4VHi2FRLeOEqMRbfHZ_cKFUNY&h=AT0xqPD2TYWuhJVuvXLysfCpNnJK8fv7csd9ftouTChai3XetU-r7vL9SPfHIU6nScV8xwkRChufoI4KRofTM47Ku8FEttDLmOmGY3PgV9JWYtcTFkuhYT__drAW9IOTkm5QSw
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.healthline.com%2Fhealth%2Fhow-to-help-a-depressed-friend%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR05rMLSDmuZcn4eWDO8ncWU-5KBuupmwAXytchTWaOrfN8XCFPN44IqXtA&h=AT0xqPD2TYWuhJVuvXLysfCpNnJK8fv7csd9ftouTChai3XetU-r7vL9SPfHIU6nScV8xwkRChufoI4KRofTM47Ku8FEttDLmOmGY3PgV9JWYtcTFkuhYT__drAW9IOTkm5QSw
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.verywellmind.com%2Fwhat-to-say-when-someone-is-depressed-1067474%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR30tL5JG_hpaBhG6HpwUjfCMmg_rvsIUamtTG1c593JHvH-TNzbcRidkHk&h=AT0xqPD2TYWuhJVuvXLysfCpNnJK8fv7csd9ftouTChai3XetU-r7vL9SPfHIU6nScV8xwkRChufoI4KRofTM47Ku8FEttDLmOmGY3PgV9JWYtcTFkuhYT__drAW9IOTkm5QSw.
When I have a friend that's depressed, I just listen to her actively because I don't know what to give an advice. Anyway, your work is excellent! 👏❤️ -Kim
ReplyDeleteThanks kim
DeleteDepression is really a serious condition. This blog is really informative, not only does it tackles the severity of depression but it also gives me an idea on how to deal with some people who have this. This really helps me to be aware and be careful, sometimes listening is just enough especially with this kind of situation. What matters most is our willingness to care for our friends and show them that they are not alone, we have to show them that we can be their strong support system and that we are just one call away.
ReplyDelete